Photo
- - - - -

Utilizing the System-Jewish Community poorest in country?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sea_of_Roses

Sea_of_Roses

• Members
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:01 AM

I found this veryyy interesting

“I cannot say as a group that they are cheating the system,” said William B. Helmreich, a sociology professor who specializes in Judaic studies at City College of the City University of New York, “but I do think that they have, no pun intended, unorthodox methods of getting financial support.”

All of which prompts a fundamental question: Are as many as 7 in 10 Kiryas Joel residents really poor?

NY Times-A Village With the Numbers, Not the Image, of the Poorest Place
-But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye like a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not. 2:216
-I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. -Aristotle
-How glorious it is - and also how painful - to be an exception. -Alfred de Musset
http://kaleena101.wordpress.com/

#2 BaronChairman

BaronChairman

Voodoo Medicine Man

• Members
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:35 AM

It looks to me, in my official capacity as a person who has spent time well below the poverty line, that there is a hint of disbelieving elitism and condescension in the remarks at the end about how the people weren't looking or acting like a typical impoverished community so they had to be getting a little bit of illegal income on the side. That's saying "we read books about guys like you, so we know you're supposed to act a certain way or else you're not really (fill in the blank)!"
I'm sorry if my insensitivity toward your beliefs offends you. But guess what - your religious wars, jihads, crusades, inquisitions, censoring of free speech, brainwashing of children, murdering of albinos, forcing girls into underage marriages, female genital mutilation, stoning, pederasty, homophobia, and rejection of science and reason offend ME. So I guess we're even.

#3 marjanih

marjanih

• Members
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

Here's a novel concept- stop procreating like a bunch of jack rabbits when you can't afford to have children on your own. I hope the government conducts an investigation in that community. It's absolutely absurd that they allegedly dedicate all this time to religious studies and yet they don't have two pennies to rub together. Cut the crap, get off the government ***, and get a real education and a real job.

#4 jigglypottamus

jigglypottamus

I'm your daddy and I didnt give you permission to talk.

• Members
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

Goddamned Communists

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a moment when you'll have the chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

.:[ maverick007.wordpress.com ]:. .:[ What's going on, Eh? ]:.

#5 Marvelicious

Marvelicious

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

Are they unwilling or unable to work? How much of the unemployment rate is due to employers failing to accommodate their religious beliefs?

#6 dreamdeferred

dreamdeferred

Striving for ا سان

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

Are they unwilling or unable to work? How much of the unemployment rate is due to employers failing to accommodate their religious beliefs?

Excellent question.

Goddamned Communists

Objection sir.... we know the only communists in America are chilling in 1600 Pennsylvania Ave led by one Barack 'Hussein' Obama. We need to take our country back and dial it back to 1956 when everything was awesome.
Modern life. Where are we running? Sometimes what we
want is not always where we are.
Are we alone? Is the real winter inside our hearts? We are all struggling for definition in a world that resists our inquiries.
-Tom Haverford
:lol::faint:

#7 Marvelicious

Marvelicious

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:20 AM

Objection sir.... we know the only communists in America are chilling in 1600 Pennsylvania Ave led by one Barack 'Hussein' Obama. We need to take our country back and dial it back to 1956 when everything was awesome.

That's a conspiracy theory, and Azher might be taxed for failing to site a reputable source like the Weekly World News in response to your claims! *snigger*

"We can readily imagine a series of possible responses. (1) Government might ban conspiracy theorizing. (2) Government might impose some kind of tax, financial or otherwise, on those who disseminate such theories."

In the 30-page paper – obtained and reviewed by WND – Sunstein argues the best government response to "conspiracy theories" is "cognitive infiltration of extremist groups."

Sunstein defined a conspiracy theory as "an effort to explain some event or practice by reference to the machinations of powerful people, who have also managed to conceal their role."

http://the-classic-l...y-introduction/

Btw why 1956? Happy Days? The Fonz?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users