Voodoo Medicine Man

• Members
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

Today is apparently National Pi Day!

Pi Day: Math Lovers and Bakers Celebrate
March 14, 2011 11:52 AM
By Nina Sen
National Pi Day celebrates the number that is beloved by math geeks and bakers. That is because it marks the number Pi and many are encouraged to enjoy a slice of the baked dish to commemorate.

Pi, the number that expresses the ratio of a circle's circumference over its diameter, was first calculated in ancient times, and sometimes is called Archimedes' Constant, for an ancient Greek mathematician who calculated an approximate value for the number. It's a number with no endpoint, although its digits start with 3.14159. Thus, March 14, or 3/14, for Pi Day.

But those unacquainted with Pi might be more drawn to what's usually a big feature of the number's celebration: pie.

The day started out as a fun way to celebrate among scientists. Physicist Larry Shaw created Pi Day in 1989 at the San Francisco Exploratorium. In the first celebration, Shaw and staff members marched around the building and then consumed fruit pies. The Exploratorium continues to hold Pi Day celebrations.

Now, the celebration is worldwide and many think of unique ways to commemorate the number.

How are you celebrating pi day? Baking a pi pie? Going to measure the circumference of column and discern the diameter? Or are you lazy and just waiting for pi approximation day (22/7 or July 22nd) to celebrate?

Read more: http://www.thirdage....1#ixzz1GagE8gVm
I'm sorry if my insensitivity toward your beliefs offends you. But guess what - your religious wars, jihads, crusades, inquisitions, censoring of free speech, brainwashing of children, murdering of albinos, forcing girls into underage marriages, female genital mutilation, stoning, pederasty, homophobia, and rejection of science and reason offend ME. So I guess we're even.

#2 ChotooMotoo

ChotooMotoo

• Members
  • 20,148 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:26 PM

I'll have to look up Mole day
Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users