Photo
- - - - -

What are the stories you tell your children?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rothwell

Rothwell

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:00 PM

Salaam, dear friends,

I am new to the Islamica community today. I am not a Muslim, but I consider myself a friend of Islam. I just posted an introduction, if you would like more information about me.

My undergraduate and graduate degrees are in early childhood education and I taught three-to-five year olds for many years. I am interested in religious education in the community. I know that young children begin to memorize and recite the Qur'an. I know that children are expected to join in Salat by about age ten. I know that the Five Pillars are binding at the age of puberty.

My question is specifically what stories young children are told about Muhammad and Islam? If I were to look at the picture books for young children, what stories do they relate? What stories do you remember learning as a young child? The way Christian children are introduced to their faith is through Bible stories. What are the parallels in Islam?

Warm regards,
Rothwell
"O mankind! We created you from a single (pair) of a male and a female, and made you into nations and tribes, that ye may know each other (not that ye may despise (each other)." The Qur'an 49:13

#2 jigglypottamus

jigglypottamus

I'm your daddy and I didnt give you permission to talk.

• Members
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:17 PM

welcome Rothwell.

Most of the parallel stories that Muslim children are taught are very similar to Biblical accounts - stories of the Prophets Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, David, Solomon, and so on. Other stories taught are those that teach Islamic values of patience, forgiveness, steadfastness, etc. Stories that teach God's penchant for forgiveness instead of punishment, etc.

Aside from the biblical stories, some no-name stories that teach these values include:

- The story of a prostitute who was granted paradise because she had mercy on a poor animal
- The story of a woman who was punished because she was cruel to her cat and kept it tied up all day long
- The story of a man who was a serial murderer and yet still tried to reach God's forgiveness and ebcause of his sincerity, God forgave him.
- The story fo a woman who used to hate Prophet Muhammad so much that she threw garbage on the path near her house where he used to pass by often, and yet when she became sick and bedridden, he still went to visit her.

And many more that others here can mention and relate.

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a moment when you'll have the chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

.:[ maverick007.wordpress.com ]:. .:[ What's going on, Eh? ]:.

#3 Marvelicious

Marvelicious

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

As well as the above I was taught stories about wise and pious elders, stories of Mullah Nasreddin and Shaykh Saadi.

My female cousins used to scare the heck out of me by telling me stories about the supernatural :nervous:

#4 Rancangan

Rancangan

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:57 PM

Great thread. My daughter likes these picture books:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 ZahraSara

ZahraSara

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:53 PM

Salaam, dear friends,

I am new to the Islamica community today. I am not a Muslim, but I consider myself a friend of Islam. I just posted an introduction, if you would like more information about me.

My undergraduate and graduate degrees are in early childhood education and I taught three-to-five year olds for many years. I am interested in religious education in the community. I know that young children begin to memorize and recite the Qur'an. I know that children are expected to join in Salat by about age ten. I know that the Five Pillars are binding at the age of puberty.

My question is specifically what stories young children are told about Muhammad and Islam? If I were to look at the picture books for young children, what stories do they relate? What stories do you remember learning as a young child? The way Christian children are introduced to their faith is through Bible stories. What are the parallels in Islam?

Warm regards,
Rothwell

I thought I point out that there is a cartoon about the early life of Prophet Muhammad SAW. You might find it on youtube but it does not show the Prophet. Also there is a popular movie among Muslims called "The Message" that tells the story of Muslims.
For thousands of years Man looked up to the skies to see the face of God.
Little did he know he only needed to look in his heart to see Him

Don't like tea, try coffee (party)

#6 Sea_of_Roses

Sea_of_Roses

• Members
  • 4,054 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 01:52 PM

Insha'Allah

2 stories that stood out for me as a child were The Little Red Hen (loved this one), and Three Little Pigs, def. gonna share with my little ones :flower:

here is a great list of age appropriate books 100 Best (kids) Books
-But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye like a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not. 2:216
-I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self. -Aristotle
-How glorious it is - and also how painful - to be an exception. -Alfred de Musset
http://kaleena101.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users