Photo
- - - - -

Women in Islam

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Women in Islam (6 member(s) have cast votes)

Are women subjugated in Islam?

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (5 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

3. Sometimes (1 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 jath821

jath821

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

I came across this article today which questions the popular Western notion that women are subjugated in Islam. What does everyone think of that idea?

http://bigthink.com/ideas/24620

Jath

#2 jigglypottamus

jigglypottamus

I'm your daddy and I didnt give you permission to talk.

• Members
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:02 AM

I think you're a troll

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a moment when you'll have the chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

.:[ maverick007.wordpress.com ]:. .:[ What's going on, Eh? ]:.

#3 ChotooMotoo

ChotooMotoo

• Members
  • 20,148 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:55 AM

On this forum, it's the women who subjugate the men
Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

#4 Wolfn

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos

• Members
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

On this forum, it's the women who subjugate the men

Considering that all the women make fun of my jika-tabi :sad:
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

#5 ChotooMotoo

ChotooMotoo

• Members
  • 20,148 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

Considering that all the women make fun of my jika-tabi :sad:

awww :( I sorry. You know what will feel better? Going into the kitchen and making me some pie :cake: I'll even let you wear your tika-jabi's. Okay? Go make pie, you'll feel better in no time.
Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

#6 EirinnMoChroi

EirinnMoChroi

• Members
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

no, women are not. Check my blog in my sig for a lengthy post that I did about the real rights of women in Islam vs. what most people think.
"An Englishman would never dream of dying in someone else's house. Especially someone they didn't even know." -The Dowager Countess of Grantham.

Clan MacMillan

#7 Tanasi

Tanasi

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 06:07 PM

I put sometimes because there are places where Muslim people use local/tribal "customs" that subjugate women, due to an incomplete knowledge of the faith or misinterpretation of the Qur'an,Sunnah,or Hadith. Islam itself doesn't promote subjugation of women.

#8 Scarfy

Scarfy

• Members
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

Islam does not oppress women. The first university in the world was established by a muslimah in Morocco. Also, Islam gave women the right to vote 1400 years ago, way before the West.
What really irks me is when people do not make the distinction between culture and Islam. For example, Saudi Arabia prohibiting women to drive is 100% culture, it has absolutely no basis in Islam.

Refer to this article for more information on this subject: http://www.islamfort...ruqaiyyah09.htm

#9 Rancangan

Rancangan

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:27 AM

jath821 you need to see this video. I downloaded it on the internet. I loved it because it documents a number of women, in different countries, who fight for Justice within Islam.

Men oppress women and claim that it's mandated by Islam but there are other interpretations. At the moment they are the minority opinions but in time they will grow insha Allah. I can already see it working. Especially as people folllow Muhammad's advice (salallahu alaihi wa sallam) to “ask your heart for a fatwa (istafti qalbak).” (Nawawi)
Posted Image

#10 AveryKH

AveryKH

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:40 AM

Scarfy, I couldn't agree with you more. Non-Muslims make no distinction between culture and religion but I have to say I don't think it's done out of willfull ignorance purely. We as Americans don't see much of the wide variety that exists in this religion. As a matter of fact, one thing that shocked me about Muslims was the fundamental differences between the sects. I think non-Muslims look at us like the Borg, like one single mind!

As far as the poll, I chose sometimes because I feel my not having the right to get up and speak in the mosque or be an imam is a form of subjugation.
Bismillah,

Vaush

#11 jigglypottamus

jigglypottamus

I'm your daddy and I didnt give you permission to talk.

• Members
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

As far as the poll, I chose sometimes because I feel my not having the right to get up and speak in the mosque or be an imam is a form of subjugation.

You might be conflating culture with institutional policy here, a bit.

In a group of all women, by all means you can be an imam. Lead them in prayer, deliver a sermon, teach them, whatever.
In a mixed group specifically in the context of war, you can also be the imam (as in, battlefield commander, lieutenant, etc)
But in a mixed group of men and women, to lead the prayer specifically? No, that's reserved for men only to eliminate distraction.

You can also get up and speak in the masjid but Islam does also advise you to be mindful of local culture, so long as it doesnt conflict with Islam itself. So for example in North America, its generally considered impolite or even rude for a person in any gathering to just get up and blurt out remarks or questions to the congregational leader. Instead, there are accepted methods of delivering your opinions that are regarded as being civil. Using these methods, no one will object if you give your opinion at the masjid.

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a moment when you'll have the chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

.:[ maverick007.wordpress.com ]:. .:[ What's going on, Eh? ]:.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users