New Possibilities!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 EirinnMoChroi

EirinnMoChroi

• Members
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

I started reading this memoir called In the Land of Invisible Women by Qanta A. Ahmed M.D. and in the book, she mentions living in Saudi Arabia for a few years to practice medicine in the hospital in Riyadh. She mentions working with American women who are Registered Diaticians also and that got the little wheels in my brain moving...

now that im single, the whole world is open and I have no restrictions on my dreams at all. In 1.5-2 years, Insha'Allah, I'll be graduating from UW Madison with my Registered Diaticians liscense which means that I can take that liscense anywhere in the world and practice there. I almost wonder if practicing for a few years in an Arabic speaking country would be a really awesome oppertunity for me to take before I get married again. That way I can fully emerse myself in Arabic language and learn Arabic fluently and it will be an amazing oppertunity.

What do you guys think? Ive always wanted to live overseas. What do you think of this idea? Do you think its realistic? How would someone even look into doing something like this?
"An Englishman would never dream of dying in someone else's house. Especially someone they didn't even know." -The Dowager Countess of Grantham.

Clan MacMillan

#2 bravotwozero

bravotwozero

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

well, it looks like you could work as a dietitian in Saudi. But being a single woman, you'll have trouble getting around without a non mahram. Ofcourse, I'd expect you know that already. There may also be the language barrier. If you can work around these two issues, I suppose you'd be ok.
Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned, everywhere is war, me say war - Bob Marley

#3 EirinnMoChroi

EirinnMoChroi

• Members
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:51 PM

well, it looks like you could work as a dietitian in Saudi. But being a single woman, you'll have trouble getting around without a non mahram. Ofcourse, I'd expect you know that already. There may also be the language barrier. If you can work around these two issues, I suppose you'd be ok.

Meh, I really wasnt expecting to go to Saudia. I dont know how safe I'd feel being the only one there and not having family or hubby to go with me. But the language barrier is why I want to go :) I want to learn the language!
"An Englishman would never dream of dying in someone else's house. Especially someone they didn't even know." -The Dowager Countess of Grantham.

Clan MacMillan

#4 shildebrandt

shildebrandt

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:12 AM

Slightly off topic but I love that book! :) I can't tell you how many times I"ve read it!

#5 EirinnMoChroi

EirinnMoChroi

• Members
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:15 AM

Slightly off topic but I love that book! :) I can't tell you how many times I"ve read it!

Its a good one!! It really motivated me to try to work internationally at least for the experience.

I finished it 2 weeks ago, I think. Now Im onto a good biography about the Prophet (saws). Its called Muhammad: A Prophet For Our Time by Karen Armstrong. love it.

Clan MacMillan

#6 UmmSqueaky

UmmSqueaky

• Members
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:21 AM

You may want to see about getting in touch with the author of this blog. She's an expat nurse in Riyadh.

fka rahma
subhan Allah wa bi hamdihi
Remember Me, and I will remember you
2:152
Posted Image
umms.wordpress.com

#7 EirinnMoChroi

EirinnMoChroi

• Members
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

You may want to see about getting in touch with the author of this blog. She's an expat nurse in Riyadh.

awesome! I just sent her an email :)

Clan MacMillan

#8 zzze

zzze

• Members
  • 7,674 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

LOL I'm finding it hilarious that she's having the same experience with the people as I did. Except she gets out lots it seems! Thanks Rahma :)
"Until you annihilate your selfish lower self of desires and lusts through strict and sincere mujahada [self disciplinary exercises], your heart will never become illuminated with the light of knowledge." - Imam Abu Hamid Al-Ghazli, Dear Beloved Son.

Help the GUANTANAMO BAY detainees

#9 Timbit

Timbit

• Members
  • 12,740 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

ooh, i saw a huge poster in the subway the other day that said "work as a nurse in saudi arabia".
it caught my eye.

male friend who was with me said "well, that's not going to end well for you..." :monkey:

i dunno; are travel restrictions for women really so bad over there that you can't live alone as a single woman? even in the big urban areas??
i'm not qualified for nursing but kind of considering teaching abroad.

#10 EirinnMoChroi

EirinnMoChroi

• Members
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

ooh, i saw a huge poster in the subway the other day that said "work as a nurse in saudi arabia".
it caught my eye.

male friend who was with me said "well, that's not going to end well for you..." :monkey:

i dunno; are travel restrictions for women really so bad over there that you can't live alone as a single woman? even in the big urban areas??
i'm not qualified for nursing but kind of considering teaching abroad.

oooooh....where was this poster? Was it in USA? Would you be willing to write down the contact info for me?

Clan MacMillan

#11 Timbit

Timbit

• Members
  • 12,740 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:13 PM

i live in toronto.
i saw it at a ttc subway station.

but if i noticed it, other people noticed it too.

so here, i've googled it for you:
http://theintrepid.b...udi-arabia.html

that ad's a little different than the one i saw, but same staffing company info. :)

#12 BaronChairman

BaronChairman

Voodoo Medicine Man

• Members
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:17 PM

Here's a link to a list of expatriate websites to help:

http://www.transitio...ewebsites.shtml
I'm sorry if my insensitivity toward your beliefs offends you. But guess what - your religious wars, jihads, crusades, inquisitions, censoring of free speech, brainwashing of children, murdering of albinos, forcing girls into underage marriages, female genital mutilation, stoning, pederasty, homophobia, and rejection of science and reason offend ME. So I guess we're even.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users