• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EirinnMoChroi

EirinnMoChroi

• Members
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 02:50 AM

Salaams everyone,

Right now I am doing a favor for a local Muslim sister by babysitting her 3 children for the next week and one of them has Downes Syndrome and sometimes has moments when she is pretty rough on her sisters (throws heavy things and pulls hair sort of stuff.) How do you handle a 5 year old who is special needs when she does things like hits, spits and pulls hair? I tried putting her in time out but she didnt stay there and ran out. Any child at the elementary school would have been taken a step further and disciplined in a different way after the time out didnt work but im not sure what works with Downes children.

Any advice would be nice. I told the mom that I would give it another shot but if I cant figure out how to work with the child, I dont think its safe to watch a special needs child with no training in it. I wanted to take the kids out but I was told that the child will run away if shes not held onto. Its not safe to go anywhere if I have to keep 100% of my attention on one child while there are 2 others being neglected. The thing that sucks is the playful-violence (I call it that cause shes not doing it to be mean, really....shes just not getting that it REALLY hurts to drag your sister across the room by the back of her hair. lol) shows up the most when shes bored or not being given 100% attention.
"An Englishman would never dream of dying in someone else's house. Especially someone they didn't even know." -The Dowager Countess of Grantham.

Clan MacMillan

#2 nooni

nooni

lost and away

• Members
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:37 PM

if she starts that behavior when shes bored or not given attention, maybe try to find or bring activities for children that will keep her pre occupied and that could also include the other two children. things like building blocks, painting, art projects and crafts, etc will keep them busy and interested. just know that a special needs child does require more attention than one without disabilities. so if the other two children are being occupied with the art projects, games, sports (even indoor ones), etc, its ok and understandable to give more of your time and energy to the child with special needs

nahnul haqu nahnu thawra ... ou homma as-hab al feel

#3 EirinnMoChroi

EirinnMoChroi

• Members
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

if she starts that behavior when shes bored or not given attention, maybe try to find or bring activities for children that will keep her pre occupied and that could also include the other two children. things like building blocks, painting, art projects and crafts, etc will keep them busy and interested. just know that a special needs child does require more attention than one without disabilities. so if the other two children are being occupied with the art projects, games, sports (even indoor ones), etc, its ok and understandable to give more of your time and energy to the child with special needs

Yeah, I brought a huge thing full of barbies which kept the other two occupied for hours. The only thing that sucks is that the mom is new to the area and the girls dont have many toys right now so they get bored really fast....and so do I. The barbies were pretty much the only thing we had to play with for a few hours but that gets dull after awhile. I brought crayons which they used for a bit but other than that, I dont have any kid stuff at my house. I dont have kids. lol.
"An Englishman would never dream of dying in someone else's house. Especially someone they didn't even know." -The Dowager Countess of Grantham.

Clan MacMillan

#4 sleepy_eyes

sleepy_eyes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:14 PM

Special needs children need extra attention and care but, at the end of the day they are still children so just try to keep her occupied, get to understand her and that will help alot in helping her change the way she plays and behaves. Also punishing her won't do any good, if she doesn't understand why she's being punished for.
You can't have rosy thoughts of the future when your mind is full of blues about the past.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users