Growing up in the 90s

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 kababqueen

kababqueen

• Members
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

super nintendo (w/ that bazooka gun attachment and duck hunt!), the super mario bros. franchise, sonic the hedgehog, inspector gadget, legends of the hidden temple, alex mac, ahh real monsters, are you afraid of the dark? etc pretty much anything on nickelodeon.

i watched a lot of tv back then :-/

#22 sumi

sumi

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 14,395 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

i had one like this

Posted Image

also:

Posted Image

and:

Posted Image

and my absolute favorite series:

Posted Image

#23 UmmSqueaky

UmmSqueaky

• Members
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

super nintendo (w/ that bazooka gun attachment and duck hunt!), the super mario bros. franchise, sonic the hedgehog, inspector gadget, legends of the hidden temple, alex mac, ahh real monsters, are you afraid of the dark? etc pretty much anything on nickelodeon.

i watched a lot of tv back then :-/

also:

clarissa explains it all
salute your shorts
double dare
ren and stimpy
doug
adventures of pete and pete
wild and crazy kids
rocko's modern life
all that

fka rahma
subhan Allah wa bi hamdihi
Remember Me, and I will remember you
2:152
Posted Image
umms.wordpress.com

#24 foozball

foozball

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

Omg!
Never do I argue with a man with a desire to hear him say what is wrong, or to expose him and win victory over him. Whenever I face an opponent in debate I silently pray - O Lord, help him so that truth may flow from his heart and on his tongue, and so that if truth is on my side, he may follow me; and if truth be on his side, I may follow him. (Imam Al-Shafi'i)

#25 UmmSqueaky

UmmSqueaky

• Members
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

and my absolute favorite series:

Posted Image

I think my sister and my collection of every single baby sitter's club book and every single sweet valley high book every written is still somewhere at my parents. Also, Goosebumps and the older RL Stein books like Fear Street. My mom had taken the babysitters and goosebumps for her classroom library, but returned them when no one read them :-/

And of course, since everyone who grew up in the 90s now blogs, we have people rereading these series and showing us how awful they actually where:

The Dairi Burger
Fear Street
BSC Revisited
What Claudia Wore

And Children of the 90s

fka rahma
Posted Image
umms.wordpress.com

#26 sumi

sumi

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 14,395 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

I think my sister and my collection of every single baby sitter's club book and every single sweet valley high book every written is still somewhere at my parents. Also, Goosebumps and the older RL Stein books like Fear Street. My mom had taken the babysitters and goosebumps for her classroom library, but returned them when no one read them :-/

And of course, since everyone who grew up in the 90s now blogs, we have people rereading these series and showing us how awful they actually where:

The Dairi Burger
Fear Street
BSC Revisited
What Claudia Wore

And Children of the 90s

i had the entire BSC collection. whenever the scholastic book orders came around, i'd buy 20 books at a time. i think i ended up donating them to the library at some point, along with my entire collection of books.

i'm afraid to click those links. i don't want it to ruin the memories... :-/ :(

#27 SugarB

SugarB

• Members
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:33 PM

OMG I totally read every single BSC,Sweet Valley High, Goosebumps, and RL Stine books.....hahahah i didnt watch much 90's tv (outside of TGIF) but 90's books i read them all.

i'm afraid to click those links. i don't want it to ruin the memories... :-/ :-/

I just previewed the first few entries of "what claudia wore" (the 2007 entries) and its hilarious.
"If you seek happiness for yourself youll never find it,
Only when you seek happiness for others will it come to you"

#28 sumi

sumi

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 14,395 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

lol i'm reading it now... :-/

#29 UmmSqueaky

UmmSqueaky

• Members
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

i'm afraid to click those links. i don't want it to ruin the memories... :-/ :-/

Do read the Children of the 90s blog - it's just posts on general 90s topics, and not too much of the horrid plot hating

(speaking of which, no wonder I have self esteem issues! The Wakefields were a perfect size 6 without ever having to exercise or watch what they eat! Damn them!)

I'm going, OMGosh, yes! To every post. Like this one on non series books I totally still have half those books, and read them all. And Brain Quest? All over that one.

Also, WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SANDIEGO! I should have totally been on that show. I would have won hands down.

I am having way too much fun with this thread. I'm a total child of the 90s.

fka rahma
Posted Image
umms.wordpress.com

#30 sumi

sumi

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 14,395 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4e-eXWbbs"]YouTube- Mandy Moore - Candy (Music Video)[/nomedia]

mandy moore. ugh. i hated her back then and still hate her now. she's always doing something weird with her mouth. :-/

#31 sally

sally

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11,995 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

They're making a movie out of Ramona and Beezus!!

#32 Purple_alien

Purple_alien

• Members
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

They're making a movie out of Ramona and Beezus!!

I know, right! I kinda like Selena Gomez, but I don't really see her as Beezus. Meh,
~Aliens are people too!~
Mi Gamma Familia #3 Scholar-

#33 SugarB

SugarB

• Members
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

The Magic School Bus!!

Posted Image

Funny story....when the internet first came out ....my very first email address was "frizzledizzl" after...

Ms. Frizzle

Posted Image

-true story.
"If you seek happiness for yourself youll never find it,
Only when you seek happiness for others will it come to you"

#34 kababqueen

kababqueen

• Members
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

family matters! full house! boy meets world!

#35 sally

sally

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11,995 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

I spent a good chunk of the latter 90s in Pakistan. My friends and I would drop soooo much money of R. L. Stein/Fearstreet, Sweet Valley, Nancy Drew books, etc. Sweet Valley was my favorite series :-/

It's interesting to look back and realize just how much of the American-ness had sunk into my social circle at that time. Unbelievable! Neopets and everything! I never had one but all my friends did (my parents insisted on having me lead a much simpler lifestyle at the time, and hence I was never obsessed with any of the latest trends, esp all the Disney/Barbie stuff, although it was a big part of life there)

Even so, I think during my childhood I dropped the most of my saved up monies on books, books, and more books. Could not get enough of them!

I used to so want to watch the Sweet Valley TV show, I had heard you could watch it in the US (the back cover of the book said so!) and I was sad we didn't have access to that channel, haha

#36 Rida

Rida

mmmm cookies!

• Members
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

i still watch boy meets world :-/ class dismissed ='(
Angel, Buffy, X-Files, Roswell, Fresh Prince.
Oasis, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Bush, Matchbox twenty.
The Bulls ='(
He Attained Exaltation By His Perfection
He Dispelled Darkness By His Beauty
Beauteous Are All His Qualities
Benediction Be Upon Him And His Family

#37 sally

sally

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11,995 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:25 PM

Lol, I first watched Boy Meets World after the 90s were over :-/

Always laughed at the name Tapanga! ahahahah. What kinda name is that? :-/

#38 Purple_alien

Purple_alien

• Members
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

I used to watch TGIF on ABC. I hated it, but tolerated it so I could fit in. (peer pressure ftw?)
I was an avid reader, but hated the popular series back then. Of course, thanks to that peer pressure, I would read the books. I would read like 2 bsc books a day, they were so easy and dumb. I disliked RL stine, because I was reading Stephen King. It still scares me to this day.:-/
Also, remember all the dangerous toys we had? the slap bracelets that were recalled because they could slice your wrist? Or the clackers that made the sparks?
And who could forget the pregnant barbie doll. :-/
~Aliens are people too!~
Mi Gamma Familia #3 Scholar-

#39 sally

sally

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11,995 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

OMG @ pregnant barbie. I thought that was a relatively new thing? I didn't know its been around...dang.

Yea I started reading King and VC Andrews (some disturbing books) after a while..then I totally quit fiction.

#40 MuslimFaith

MuslimFaith

• Members
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

I miss my BSC collection :-/ Anyone remember Pepper Ann? And Beetlejuice?

I loved Wizard of Oz :-/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users