Top 10 Worst University Majors

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 ThaliThursdays

ThaliThursdays

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:08 PM

"Why It Won’t Help You Get a Job: With an art history degree you could maybe curate an art gallery or work at a museum or .yeah, that’s it. That’s all you can do. And seeing as how every art gallery and museum I’ve ever been to has exactly one dude sitting quietly at a desk reading a New Yorker and eating a food that requires chopsticks, I’m going to go ahead and assume there’s not a lot of positions open in the field. That means you’re going to have to venture out into the corporate world. And let me inform you, when you’re interviewing with Bob from the HR team at Wal-Mart who’s wearing a tie that has the twin towers smoking with writing underneath that says “We Will Never Forget, your art history degree says to him “I’m a commie a-hole who thinks I’m better than guys with 9/11 ties."

I'm an Art History major and looking at this, I obviously don't agree. There's academia one can go into, researching, teaching, and archaelogy even. There's working in auction houses like christies or sothebys. Being an art collector or going into restoration and conservation.

#42 m_ali_qazi

m_ali_qazi

Bhangra dance fighter

• Members
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

"Why It Won’t Help You Get a Job: With an art history degree you could maybe curate an art gallery or work at a museum or .yeah, that’s it. That’s all you can do. And seeing as how every art gallery and museum I’ve ever been to has exactly one dude sitting quietly at a desk reading a New Yorker and eating a food that requires chopsticks, I’m going to go ahead and assume there’s not a lot of positions open in the field. That means you’re going to have to venture out into the corporate world. And let me inform you, when you’re interviewing with Bob from the HR team at Wal-Mart who’s wearing a tie that has the twin towers smoking with writing underneath that says “We Will Never Forget, your art history degree says to him “I’m a commie a-hole who thinks I’m better than guys with 9/11 ties."

I'm an Art History major and looking at this, I obviously don't agree. There's academia one can go into, researching, teaching, and archaelogy even. There's working in auction houses like christies or sothebys. Being an art collector or going into restoration and conservation.

its good that you wanna do what you like but the point is that the rat race and greed is important, otherwise life would suck

in this world you only have two options, either rise or sink, there's no steady state

#43 ThaliThursdays

ThaliThursdays

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

its good that you wanna do what you like but the point is that the rat race and greed is important, otherwise life would suck

in this world you only have two options, either rise or sink, there's no steady state

Greed is important, but not all jobs are able to pay loads of money, there are a lot jobs that are respectable and help you rise with reputation. Especially here in London, most jobs have the rise in society with reputation situation. For example, the doctors and lawyers here make nowhere close to the amounts they would in the States yet, their occupations are respectable and help others all around them so that in itself makes them rise.

As far as these 'worthless' degrees, if whoever is studying that degree is serious about what they're doing I'm sure they'll find a way to rise if that's their goal.

#44 subzero

subzero

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

phew! glad Social work isn't on the list.. but it's practically on every other list.

#45 BaronChairman

BaronChairman

Voodoo Medicine Man

• Members
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:11 PM

phew! glad Social work isn't on the list.. but it's practically on every other list.

Have you ever considered who writes the lists? I don't expect social work would rank highly on several career lists because there's no money in it, and a lot of these lists are compiled with the expectation that people reading it are going to gun for the high-paying jobs that are available in the field.
I'm sorry if my insensitivity toward your beliefs offends you. But guess what - your religious wars, jihads, crusades, inquisitions, censoring of free speech, brainwashing of children, murdering of albinos, forcing girls into underage marriages, female genital mutilation, stoning, pederasty, homophobia, and rejection of science and reason offend ME. So I guess we're even.

#46 subzero

subzero

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

Have you ever considered who writes the lists? I don't expect social work would rank highly on several career lists because there's no money in it, and a lot of these lists are compiled with the expectation that people reading it are going to gun for the high-paying jobs that are available in the field.

Um, yea. That's pretty much what I said.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users