3. Latin
4. English Literature
5. Dance
6. Communications
7. Music
8. American Studies
9. Philosophy
10. Art History

LOL @ art students. Seriously. Stop wasting your money, it's all a scam.

Art History:

Why It Won’t Help You Get a Job: With an art history degree you could maybe curate an art gallery or work at a museum or….yeah, that’s it. That’s all you can do. And seeing as how every art gallery and museum I’ve ever been to has exactly one dude sitting quietly at a desk reading a New Yorker and eating a food that requires chopsticks, I’m going to go ahead and assume there’s not a lot of positions open in the field. That means you’re going to have to venture out into the corporate world. And let me inform you, when you’re interviewing with Bob from the HR team at Wal-Mart who’s wearing a tie that has the twin towers smoking with writing underneath that says “We Will Never Forget,” your art history degree says to him “I’m a commie a-hole who thinks I’m better than guys with 9/11 ties.”

What Job You’ll End Up With: After your parents boot your *** from your bedroom to make room for anything that’s not your bedroom, you’ll wander towards the nearest coffee shop and get a job there, which will allow you to meet artists who will thank you for allowing them to put fliers by the cash register that inform people of their upcoming show that touts “the combination of art and flute.”

Philosophy:

Why It Won’t Help You Get a Job: This isn’t ancient Greece: No one is going to pay you money, or allow you to sodomize their attractive son, in exchange for your knowledge of existence. Never has there been an employer who’s said “Man, we’re having all kinds of problems, I wish we had someone on our team who could reference and draw conclusions from the story of Siddhartha that would pull up our fourth quarter numbers.” I took many philosophy classes and it involved reading and smoking a **** pile of weed. You don’t need to pay 20,000 dollars a year to do that. All you need is twenty dollars and a library card.

What Job You’ll End Up With: Thanks to your extensive knowledge of philosophy, you’re now self-aware enough to know that most jobs out there will make you totally miserable. So most likely you’ll wait tables part time and hope someone starts paying you for the bi-monthly entries on your blog.
fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing - Optimus Prime

Don't Be Cheap, Support Your Local Muslim Business

#2 EirinnMoChroi

EirinnMoChroi

• Members
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:30 PM

http://www.holytaco....-college-majors

1. Religious Studies
2. Film
3. Latin
4. English Literature
5. Dance
6. Communications
7. Music
8. American Studies
9. Philosophy
10. Art History

LOL @ art students. Seriously. Stop wasting your money, it's all a scam.

Art History:

Why It Won’t Help You Get a Job: With an art history degree you could maybe curate an art gallery or work at a museum or….yeah, that’s it. That’s all you can do. And seeing as how every art gallery and museum I’ve ever been to has exactly one dude sitting quietly at a desk reading a New Yorker and eating a food that requires chopsticks, I’m going to go ahead and assume there’s not a lot of positions open in the field. That means you’re going to have to venture out into the corporate world. And let me inform you, when you’re interviewing with Bob from the HR team at Wal-Mart who’s wearing a tie that has the twin towers smoking with writing underneath that says “We Will Never Forget,” your art history degree says to him “I’m a commie a-hole who thinks I’m better than guys with 9/11 ties.”

What Job You’ll End Up With: After your parents boot your *** from your bedroom to make room for anything that’s not your bedroom, you’ll wander towards the nearest coffee shop and get a job there, which will allow you to meet artists who will thank you for allowing them to put fliers by the cash register that inform people of their upcoming show that touts “the combination of art and flute.”

Philosophy:

Why It Won’t Help You Get a Job: This isn’t ancient Greece: No one is going to pay you money, or allow you to sodomize their attractive son, in exchange for your knowledge of existence. Never has there been an employer who’s said “Man, we’re having all kinds of problems, I wish we had someone on our team who could reference and draw conclusions from the story of Siddhartha that would pull up our fourth quarter numbers.” I took many philosophy classes and it involved reading and smoking a **** pile of weed. You don’t need to pay 20,000 dollars a year to do that. All you need is twenty dollars and a library card.

What Job You’ll End Up With: Thanks to your extensive knowledge of philosophy, you’re now self-aware enough to know that most jobs out there will make you totally miserable. So most likely you’ll wait tables part time and hope someone starts paying you for the bi-monthly entries on your blog.

LMAO @ the "im a commie a-hole who thinks im better than guys with 9/11 ties" comment.

This is actually hilarious.

#3 Kona_Silat

Kona_Silat

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:54 PM

LMAO @ the "im a commie a-hole who thinks im better than guys with 9/11 ties" comment.

This is actually hilarious.

More than likely he would be working in Target instead of Walmart in my opinion.

#4 Sha_

Sha_

invisible member

• Members
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:14 AM

I do Religious Studies.

Why It Won’t Help You Get a Job: Sorry God, but a major in Religion is about as worthless as St. Brice (The Patron Saint of Stomach Aches.) Even Duke University can’t put a solid sell on this degree: “A major in religion offers intellectual excitement and can be a pathway to a liberal education.” OK, you sold me. So now I get to shell out about a hundred thousand dollars so I can know what to wear to a Shinto ceremony and learn how many virgins Allah will give me if I blow myself up in an Israeli square? If it’s OK with you, I’ll keep my money and stick to my sinning-a-lot-now-and-repenting-on-my-deathbed plan.

What Job You’ll End Up With: This one is tricky. On one hand you’ll probably end up working behind the desk of a Christian Science Reading Room. But on the other, you may end up with everlasting peace and spiritual enlightenment. Let’s call it a draw.

This article is dumb.

With further study or experience you could do a lot.

Teaching or lecturing for example, academic research career,
third sector- community development, working with disadvantaged people from different backgrounds.

My uni course info says:
"We now live in a multi-cultural society and, we are told, in a “Global Village”. Those who have an understanding of different cultures, their beliefs and values, and the ability to think for themselves will possess key skills applicable to most types of work. Careers in teaching, social services, the police, tourism, publishing and the civil service are a few prospects open to our graduates. With a degree in Religious Studies, the world is your oyster!"

You could argue that you couldnt do anything with it on its own/without further study or experience, but you can say that for a lot of degrees. Even sciency ones.

In these sour times, Please allow me to vouch for mine
Bitter taste in my mouth, Spit it out with a rhyme
Im losing my religion to tomorrows headlines
Abu Ghraib.., -Sorry mate?
..Nah nothing, its fine..

The Shaykh It Show :D

#5 Anderson

Anderson

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 06:32 AM

Kona you must spaz out when you see some one with one of those degrees and a good job- must make you feel like an no-talent tool.
Cheesecake and webcams.

#6 BaronChairman

BaronChairman

Voodoo Medicine Man

• Members
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:18 AM

Actually, a lot of the people involved with what you see on TV, from the productions to the ads to the promotions, were likely comm majors.

But really, this confirms my previously stated belief that we have too many people going to college. Too many majors, many of which are little more than forms of propaganda.
I'm sorry if my insensitivity toward your beliefs offends you. But guess what - your religious wars, jihads, crusades, inquisitions, censoring of free speech, brainwashing of children, murdering of albinos, forcing girls into underage marriages, female genital mutilation, stoning, pederasty, homophobia, and rejection of science and reason offend ME. So I guess we're even.

#7 Kona_Silat

Kona_Silat

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

Actually, a lot of the people involved with what you see on TV, from the productions to the ads to the promotions, were likely comm majors.

But really, this confirms my previously stated belief that we have too many people going to college. Too many majors, many of which are little more than forms of propaganda.

Admittly I don't think Communications should be in the top 10, maybe the top 20 or 30, but I agree with what you say. Then again, it depends what school you go to. A communications degree from USC looks good than a communications degree from a average state school.

#8 MossadConspiracy

MossadConspiracy

• Members
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

i wont make fun of the worthless liberal arts majors on that list but I'll just say that most hard science majors are totally useless if you dont get into professional school or grad school

ws
It was the Mossad!!

#9 Jaysh

Jaysh

• Members
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

i wont make fun of the worthless liberal arts majors on that list but I'll just say that most hard science majors are totally useless if you dont get into professional school or grad school

ws

thats kinda like saying pre-med is useless if you dont go to med school..

most people who do hard sciences go to grad school i'd assume so i dont think it can be called a useless major....it is however a lot of hard work for not that much pay off financially...but hey some people love those fields...suckas!!!

as for humanities majors, i respect people who do that and then become professors and the like...like i told you before i think norman finkelstein is way smart and it's gotta do with being an academic, something that we as mere clinicians will forever lack.

Be like a rose which gives its fragrance even to those who crush it. - Ali (RA)

#10 Kona_Silat

Kona_Silat

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 09:47 PM

I do Religious Studies.

This article is dumb.

With further study or experience you could do a lot.

Teaching or lecturing for example, academic research career,
third sector- community development, working with disadvantaged people from different backgrounds.

My uni course info says:
"We now live in a multi-cultural society and, we are told, in a “Global Village”. Those who have an understanding of different cultures, their beliefs and values, and the ability to think for themselves will possess key skills applicable to most types of work. Careers in teaching, social services, the police, tourism, publishing and the civil service are a few prospects open to our graduates. With a degree in Religious Studies, the world is your oyster!"

You could argue that you couldnt do anything with it on its own/without further study or experience, but you can say that for a lot of degrees. Even sciency ones.

Its called advertising to lure students into a certain major or course.

ws

hard sciences? so I BS in Chemistry and Physics is useless?

#11 EirinnMoChroi

EirinnMoChroi

• Members
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 11:37 PM

Glad to see my Nutrition/general dietetics degree isnt up there.

I dont want to bust my butt in anatomy for nothing!

#12 MossadConspiracy

MossadConspiracy

• Members
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:44 AM

thats kinda like saying pre-med is useless if you dont go to med school..

most people who do hard sciences go to grad school i'd assume so i dont think it can be called a useless major....it is however a lot of hard work for not that much pay off financially...but hey some people love those fields...suckas!!!

as for humanities majors, i respect people who do that and then become professors and the like...like i told you before i think norman finkelstein is way smart and it's gotta do with being an academic, something that we as mere clinicians will forever lack.

salam

the same can be said for dumb humanities majors. philosophy majors can go on to law school or whatever. Alot of them do.

I know alot of ppl who graduated with degrees in biology and stuff like that and didnt go to grad school or med school, and its been tough for them

I did biochem and if i hadnt been accepted to med school i wouldve been totally screwed

ws
It was the Mossad!!

#13 ChotooMotoo

ChotooMotoo

• Members
  • 20,148 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:14 AM

ws

biochem isn't hard science.

Chemistry rules. You can find a job with a B.S. no problem.
Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

#14 MossadConspiracy

MossadConspiracy

• Members
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:32 AM

biochem is a chemistry major, but i just meant science in general. who cares about what the cutoff for "hard" is

what kind of jobs can somebody get with a BS in chemistry? I knew some girl who had one and she worked as an office assistant or something like that until she got into a masters degree program (ended up going to med school after her masters)
It was the Mossad!!

#15 Sha_

Sha_

invisible member

• Members
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:26 AM

Its called advertising to lure students into a certain major or course.

Except it's true and makes sense.

I only mentioned it because the website you posted made out that even universities cant point to any real usefulness of a religion degree.

Even Duke University can’t put a solid sell on this degree: “A major in religion offers intellectual excitement and can be a pathway to a liberal education.” OK, you sold me. So now I get to shell out about a hundred thousand dollars so I can know what to wear to a Shinto ceremony and learn how many virgins Allah will give me if I blow myself up in an Israeli square? If it’s OK with you, I’ll keep my money and stick to my sinning-a-lot-now-and-repenting-on-my-deathbed plan.

So I'm saying that quote above doesnt really prove anything.

I also mentioned additional careers that werent on there- ones that I know people with a religion degree can go into or have gone into.

In these sour times, Please allow me to vouch for mine
Bitter taste in my mouth, Spit it out with a rhyme
Im losing my religion to tomorrows headlines
Abu Ghraib.., -Sorry mate?
..Nah nothing, its fine..

The Shaykh It Show :D

#16 Kona_Silat

Kona_Silat

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

Glad to see my Nutrition/general dietetics degree isnt up there.

I dont want to bust my butt in anatomy for nothing!

Its is probably in the top 20 :(

But then again, with the overweight Americans. It makes sense to have nutritionists.

salam

the same can be said for dumb humanities majors. philosophy majors can go on to law school or whatever. Alot of them do.

I know alot of ppl who graduated with degrees in biology and stuff like that and didnt go to grad school or med school, and its been tough for them

I did biochem and if i hadnt been accepted to med school i wouldve been totally screwed

ws

Biology is like the underwater basketweaving of the sciences.

biochem isn't hard science.

Chemistry rules. You can find a job with a B.S. no problem.

Truth

#17 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

Nutrition is actually a pretty solid major. If people come out as registered dieticians, they have tons of opportunities for jobs.

I majored in Biology and English, then went to grad school and got a MS in Physiology. Talk about collecting useless degrees. I finished my MS in 2003 when the economy was relatively good and I couldn't find a job for 6 months. Even then, the only jobs that I was really qualified for were lab tech jobs and regulatory (paper pusher) jobs. If I didn't go to med school, I would have been truly over-educated and under-employed.
But will you shall not, unless God wills, the Lord of all Being. -At-Takwir, 81: 29

Surgeon General's warning: She only looks sweet and innocent. :evil:
To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing. - unknown
'Dawah' is not arabic for 'being really annoying.' - a really wise Islamican
If you educate a boy, you educate an individual. If you educate a girl, you educate a community. - African proverb

http://therabs.blogspot.com

#18 kababqueen

kababqueen

• Members
  • 11,052 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 12:54 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...s/23search.html

#19 dreamdeferred

dreamdeferred

Striving for ا سان

• Members
  • 2,335 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:10 PM

Funny article.

But there's no such thing as a useless major. Only useless people.
Modern life. Where are we running? Sometimes what we
want is not always where we are.
Are we alone? Is the real winter inside our hearts? We are all struggling for definition in a world that resists our inquiries.
-Tom Haverford
:lol::faint:

#20 Kona_Silat

Kona_Silat

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:18 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...s/23search.html

LMAO @ NYTimes

Unemployment rate is 9.5%
http://www.google.co...employment rate