• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 virtue

virtue

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:15 AM

Assalamu alaikom,

My husband and me live in Ottawa (Canada) and are considering moving to the US. Our children are very young and we are looking for a good Islamic montessori school (100%montessori not only daycare& KG). Our elder is 4 years old and we love the Montessori philosophy Mashallah one of the best educational methods I have ever seen. We have done a search by Internet and we found tow schools, one in Michigan (Beverely Hills academy) and one in Seattle. We are also thrilled by Californian good wheather, but didn't find any Islamic Montessori school. ;)

We have no idea about the environment there, and we would appreciate if some Muslim parents who raise their children there can give us some info. (or even youth who know these schools)

This is the ideal environment we are looking for in the city we will choose Inshallah. Here our main priorities:

1- Good, strong and active Muslim Community (socially and politically speaking)
2- Community Fostering a united American Muslim identity (united by religion not by ethnicities)
3- Clean environment for our kids and family (physically and morally speaking)
4- Open minded and sociable large community (non-muslims)
5- Good job opportunities (absolutely no problem for hijab at work)
6- Good wheather (Sun)
7- Open to leadership roles for men and women (muslim and large community)

My hubby is a business analyst, and I will graduate in tow years Inshallah as a Registred Holistic nutritionist. Please if you share the same career path, we appreciate your help :)

Also if you have advice and recommendation for future Canadian expats, please do give us some tips about preparing our trip (administrative formalities, health insurance, rent..etc)

Jazakom Allah kolla Khair

Your Sister in Islam, loving and caring mom:sister:

#2 azher

azher

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 706 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

Wa'alaikum As'salaam + welcome aboard.

My wife was looking into some local headstart programs for my son and the local montessori is one we were considering. We also looked at the Islamic schools but unfortunately (and I'm not sure if this is reflective of the broader landscape), I think we'll have to choose between a good "school" (or montesorri) or an "islamic" one. The full-time academy seemed to be more of a daycare than anything else for pre-k whereas some of the private schools actually seemed like they had teachers that were looking to set up a curriculum. It probably doesn't help you much but that was our experience, at least.

There's a bunch of canucks + ex-canucks here, I believe. Raise your hands and say "eh" or something, guys/gals. ;)
hi. :faint:

#3 EirinnMoChroi

EirinnMoChroi

• Members
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

jeez....if you find that town, let me know cause I want to go there too.

Tip from me to you: dont come to California. California is in a huge financial mess right now and one of the main things that Arnie is cutting funds for here is education. Its hitting the colleges and universities really bad and they're already closing down elementary schools all over my city. Over 300 elementary school teachers got laid off last year just in my town alone.

#4 foozball

foozball

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

Look in to the Dallas area. A friend of my husband's travels the country teaching Islamic/Arabic courses so he's familiar with the many Muslim communities in the US. He set roots in Dallas bc of the Muslim community, Islamic schools (he now has 5 kids mA) the weather, local airports and cost of living.
Never do I argue with a man with a desire to hear him say what is wrong, or to expose him and win victory over him. Whenever I face an opponent in debate I silently pray - O Lord, help him so that truth may flow from his heart and on his tongue, and so that if truth is on my side, he may follow me; and if truth be on his side, I may follow him. (Imam Al-Shafi'i)

#5 EirinnMoChroi

EirinnMoChroi

• Members
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:55 PM

Look in to the Dallas area. A friend of my husband's travels the country teaching Islamic/Arabic courses so he's familiar with the many Muslim communities in the US. He set roots in Dallas bc of the Muslim community, Islamic schools (he now has 5 kids mA) the weather, local airports and cost of living.

Really? Texas? Bush, Republicans, AND Muslims?

Who woulda thunk.

#6 gulmakai

gulmakai

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:13 PM

as salaam walakum sister,

i live in pa and there is a very good montessori school here. 1860 Montgomery
Foundation for Islamic Education 1860 Montgomery Ave. Villanova, PA 19085 610 520-9624

i plan to put my children in it inshallah. may Allah make it easy for you.

#7 Muslimaa

Muslimaa

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

WaalykumAssalam sister, I am living in Ottawa as well and had similar concenrs as yours, was looking for options and found your post. I have lived in US for four years in DC/VA area and loved it. Strong Muslim community, all seasons and good schools. I also want to go back most likely by 2012 when my son will be ready for Nursery school. I am currently looking into one one CCMA accredited Montessori school in ottawa for my son ( 3 yrs). Unfortunately I did not find anything Islamic which is comparabale. Have you already moved or are still in Ottawa?

#8 BaronChairman

BaronChairman

Voodoo Medicine Man

• Members
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Chicago has a lot of good aspects, like diversity and an open-minded attitude, and you'll find plenty of cultural activities here.

On the downside, the place believes strictly in machine politics, the city is in ridiculous debt and the ridiculous taxes combined with the already high cost of living mean the city may be beyond redemption.
I'm sorry if my insensitivity toward your beliefs offends you. But guess what - your religious wars, jihads, crusades, inquisitions, censoring of free speech, brainwashing of children, murdering of albinos, forcing girls into underage marriages, female genital mutilation, stoning, pederasty, homophobia, and rejection of science and reason offend ME. So I guess we're even.

#9 Xanthippe

Xanthippe

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

On a sidenote: Why Montessori?

Dunno about the system in the US, but in Norway, kids who attend schools with alternative pedagogy (montessori/waldorf-steiner - albeit the last one is just hoobalooba-crazy) have a tough time adjusting to the conventional educational system that they are bound to follow, post-secondary school. Can't you find a good school, with a traditional and conventional system?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users