Official Work Place thread.

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 Shivermetimbers

Shivermetimbers

• Members
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:34 PM

Yesterday I was with one of the guys I counsel, who has mental retardation and some behavioral problems as well. Anyways I was giving him his meds and he noticed my wedding ring and asked if I was married. I said "yes" and then he asked if I had any kids. I said "no" and he said "good". I asked him why it's good that I don't have any children, and he said "cuz sometimes they come out disformed, like me".

That was the most depressing thing I've ever heard in my life. :-/ I've been working here a year now and these things still bother me. Sighhh

that is so sad :(
sachi, Allah rocks.

#82 princesszz

princesszz

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:06 PM

Salams,

WORK: ok, so i hate working for someone new. it almost feels like i'm at a new job and i have to prove myself to my new employer. it's somewhat not cool. when you are working for someone new, you are placed in a situation where your previous experience is totally negated considering you don't know the person's personality and work ethics/behaviour. so you gotta start from the scratch in building that professional r/shp with your new supervisor/manager/employer etc. so yeh, that's my story at work tomorrow. i hope everything goes well tomorrow. duas please.

wasalams
“For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it. For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it. For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it.”

#83 4that1

4that1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:26 PM

Salams,

WORK: ok, so i hate working for someone new. it almost feels like i'm at a new job and i have to prove myself to my new employer. it's somewhat not cool. when you are working for someone new, you are placed in a situation where your previous experience is totally negated considering you don't know the person's personality and work ethics/behaviour. so you gotta start from the scratch in building that professional r/shp with your new supervisor/manager/employer etc. so yeh, that's my story at work tomorrow. i hope everything goes well tomorrow. duas please.

wasalams

Just get to know them for the that one. I've found that it helps when you chat with the people you work with. Ask them out to lunch if you feel comfortable.

#84 jigglypottamus

jigglypottamus

I'm your daddy and I didnt give you permission to talk.

• Members
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:40 AM

Where did you work with autistic people?

a.) A few years ago me and this girl who were talking, she had two daughters and the younger one of was autistic. Mad cute girl mashallah, I used to put her up on my shoulders, take her to the park, all that fun stuff.

b.) One of our family friends has a son who is autistic. He's in his 20s now, but before when we used to go visit I'd sit with him, take care of him, interact and help him learn something small, be his friend, etc.

c.)
There's an organization here in the Toronto area called SMILE - its about helping kids who are mentally / physically challenged or disabled, etc. I signed up with them a while back to volunteer as a big brother figure for such kids but so far (due to a busy work schedule) the only real interaction I've had with that group of kids, is at the fundraising dinners.

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a moment when you'll have the chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.

.:[ maverick007.wordpress.com ]:. .:[ What's going on, Eh? ]:.

#85 EirinnMoChroi

EirinnMoChroi

• Members
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:07 AM

Yesterday I was with one of the guys I counsel, who has mental retardation and some behavioral problems as well. Anyways I was giving him his meds and he noticed my wedding ring and asked if I was married. I said "yes" and then he asked if I had any kids. I said "no" and he said "good". I asked him why it's good that I don't have any children, and he said "cuz sometimes they come out disformed, like me".

That was the most depressing thing I've ever heard in my life. :look: I've been working here a year now and these things still bother me. Sighhh

that broke my heart reading that :flower:
"An Englishman would never dream of dying in someone else's house. Especially someone they didn't even know." -The Dowager Countess of Grantham.

Clan MacMillan

#86 Purple_alien

Purple_alien

• Members
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:54 PM

There is an autistic guy here at work. I've worked with him for 5 years. He is a slacker. When we were at the other building, he would wander around not doing any work. When some of us were transferred here, he got his organization to pressure management to send him here too. Now, he never comes to work and when he does, he wanders around in different departments. He has told me before how he sued his last employer because they wouldn't let him do what he wants. His excuse for everything is: "You know I have a problem" His only problem is he is a disgusting opportunist who abuses the ADA. :nervous:
The new Clerk is not tolerating his stuff now. He is in danger of being suspended. Not that he would care. He has a daily tirade about how he hates this job and he can get a better one, and how this place is trash. :look:
~Aliens are people too!~
Mi Gamma Familia #3 Scholar-

#87 kababqueen

kababqueen

• Members
  • 11,053 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

autistic people sometimes have difficulty doing work that you or I can do easily. also, they sometimes have emotional and behavioral problems that prevent them from focusing on their work, and from coping with job-related stress in a healthy way, like normal people do. not saying that you're wrong, since you work with him everyday, but sometimes things aren't as they appear.

anyway i hope that your co-worker finds something more suitable for him, if he's unhappy working where he is.

#88 4that1

4that1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

There is an autistic guy here at work. I've worked with him for 5 years. He is a slacker. When we were at the other building, he would wander around not doing any work. When some of us were transferred here, he got his organization to pressure management to send him here too. Now, he never comes to work and when he does, he wanders around in different departments. He has told me before how he sued his last employer because they wouldn't let him do what he wants. His excuse for everything is: "You know I have a problem" His only problem is he is a disgusting opportunist who abuses the ADA. :)
The new Clerk is not tolerating his stuff now. He is in danger of being suspended. Not that he would care. He has a daily tirade about how he hates this job and he can get a better one, and how this place is trash. :)

What kind of job is this?

#89 princesszz

princesszz

• Members
  • 966 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 01:37 AM

The authoritative dynamics of my work is so complex to the extend where I'm not even sure who to speak to in regards for a promotion?.....

I plan on cornering the HR lady and asking her in private...lol..
“For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it. For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it. For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users