• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 clarity_muslimah

clarity_muslimah

• Members
  • 922 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:31 PM

Costco! :)

I love it. It's like massive playground. I love going crazy with all the feature products that they out, esp the music instruments lol
and the choc muffins! mmmm
:flower: half da wrld is in turmoil...dats wen islam cums to show u da pass to DEEEENN!!!!!! :flower:
---

I'm more patronizing than my signature suggests... ^-^ :cool:

OHH I'm an iDiaatt...I'm an illegal immigrant...something tun TA NA!

#22 Caramel_Candy

Caramel_Candy

• Members
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

Costco hands down.
Put aside your pride, Set down your arrogance, and remember your grave. - Ali ibn Abu Talib (radiAllah anhu)

#23 marjanih

marjanih

• Members
  • 12,208 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 10:41 PM

Where does BJs fit into all this?

:flower:
shadha-

#24 meraj

meraj

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:15 AM

as salaamu alaikum,

Where does BJs fit into all this?

:flower:
shadha-

BJ's is not nationwide. ive only been to it once, and that was on Long Island. but my initial impression was that it was close to if not on par with costco in terms of appearance and products. i didnt get a chance to experience their customer service, so i dont know how that compares.

:monkey: meraj

Posted Image

Please read the rules before posting! If you need help, please ask :)

#25 ChotooMotoo

ChotooMotoo

• Members
  • 20,148 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

I went to Coscto yesterday, and yes indeed they had Halal lamb. The lamb is imported from Australia, and you can clearly see the halal label on the whole lamb shank roast. There is some smaller cut up lamb pieces, and they are labled as imported from the same folks who do the shank, so yay!

Too bad it's 50 miles away :flower:

Buys buys from Costco yesterday:
lamb
halibut
blender
Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

#26 meraj

meraj

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

as salaamu alaikum,

Buys buys from Costco yesterday:
lamb
halibut
blender

there are better ways to make a protein shake :flower:

:nerd: meraj

Posted Image

#27 ChotooMotoo

ChotooMotoo

• Members
  • 20,148 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

as salaamu alaikum,

there are better ways to make a protein shake :nerd:

:( meraj

that totally made me LOL!!!

then there was the one time this guy came through my line at work, and all he purchased was:
Beer
Paper Plates
Cat Food
plastic dinnerware....

hmm... makes you wonder eh? :flower:

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

#28 nunyobeezwax

nunyobeezwax

• Members
  • 9,655 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

i don't know anything about either sam's or costco but if meraj is right then i would definitely go with costco over walmart. i've been kind of anti-walmart lately because they are so bad to their employees. grown women with families work there for years and barely make anything over minimum wage, it's disgusting. it's hard though, walmart has everything! except for fresh veggies, i buy my produce from cub foods now.

Halal or kosher?

wouldn't matter since we are allowed to eat both.

#29 meraj

meraj

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,999 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:06 PM

as salaamu alaikum,

then there was the one time this guy came through my line at work, and all he purchased was:
Beer
Paper Plates
Cat Food
plastic dinnerware....

hmm... makes you wonder eh? :confused:

either the recession has reduced him to cat food, or he was going to use it to bait a cat and... yeah :(

i don't know anything about either sam's or costco but if meraj is right then i would definitely go with costco over walmart. i've been kind of anti-walmart lately because they are so bad to their employees. grown women with families work there for years and barely make anything over minimum wage, it's disgusting. it's hard though, walmart has everything! except for fresh veggies, i buy my produce from cub foods now.

we learned about it in a business legal studies class i just took this semester. costco's basic code of ethics is:

- obey the law
- take care of our members
- take care of our employees
- respect our vendos

so it's pretty much the anti-walmart on all counts.

:look: meraj

Posted Image

#30 MrZ

MrZ

huggable humanist

• Members
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:51 PM

All lamb from New Zealand is zabiha as their biggest exports are to the Middle East and South Asia. Outback Steakhouse also serves zabiha lamb steaks n such.

cuz they gon judge me anyway so... whatever...

#31 The Girl

The Girl

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:10 AM

some other good buys from Costco...

• tandoori naan - really soft and yummy!
  • 20 lb bag of basmati rice for $20

(i found a 10-lb bag of the same brand rice at my local desi store for $17.) :monkey:

The SUNNAH, the better! :coolsis:

#32 ChotooMotoo

ChotooMotoo

• Members
  • 20,148 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

some other good buys from Costco...

• tandoori naan - really soft and yummy!
  • 20 lb bag of basmati rice for $20

(i found a 10-lb bag of the same brand rice at my local desi store for $17.) :monkey:

Mr. doesn't like plain old regular basmati rice. If I'm cooking something with basmati, he wants it to be the parboiled basmati rice, which they don't sell ANYWHERE.

Since he doesn't like it, and feels cheated when I cook it, I'm not going to spend the money for Basmati. Jasmine rice is 25lbs for $15, so Jasmine rice it is.

#33 ChotooMotoo

ChotooMotoo

• Members
  • 20,148 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:26 PM

I got a sams club membership cuz it's right here in town, but I'm sharing it w/ my SIL. She has sam's club but no costco.

All lamb from New Zealand is zabiha as their biggest exports are to the Middle East and South Asia. Outback Steakhouse also serves zabiha lamb steaks n such.

is that true because sams club sells lamb imported from New Zealand, but it doesn't have a halal stamp

(one handed typing is teh suck)

#34 ChotooMotoo

ChotooMotoo

• Members
  • 20,148 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 12:23 PM

OMG I'm psyched! The lamb at Sam's Club is from New Zealand lamb company (nzlamb.com) They have the website on their package, so I went to their website and sent them an e-mail about their lamb. Is it halal or not because there is nothing on their package that says so or their American website, but the companies Canadian website has the halal symbol right on the home page.

Here's the e-mail:
Yes, all of the plants that process our lamb in New Zealand are halal
accredited. The plants are monitored by regional Islamic Associations in
NZ. All processing facilities have to recertify annually for the halal
processor status. We are transitioning our packaging...and soon you'll see
the halal legend on each package of boneless legs and frenched racks you buy
in the store. The master cartons that we ship into Sam's also carry the MS
(Muslim Slaughter) stamp. You can consume our products with confidence.

Thank you for your email~
Marybeth Laleman

Sure, I can get lamb from the local guy, but he's not the most honest guy and more often than not I've paid $9 per pound for lamb that is mostly bone, fat and gristle with very little meat. The local guy is good for goat, I've always gotten nice goat from him. He's good for steaks, but for whatever reason the lamb he sells is terrible. Nice to know I have an alternative. It's nice for the rest of you too who might live in areas without a halal shop.

#35 The Girl

The Girl

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

that's cool. :giggle: thanks for sharing.

but i'm wondering why there is no mention of "halal" on the USA website if it's the same company? :monkey:

OMG I'm psyched! The lamb at Sam's Club is from New Zealand lamb company (nzlamb.com) They have the website on their package, so I went to their website and sent them an e-mail about their lamb. Is it halal or not because there is nothing on their package that says so or their American website, but the companies Canadian website has the halal symbol right on the home page.

Here's the e-mail:
Yes, all of the plants that process our lamb in New Zealand are halal
accredited. The plants are monitored by regional Islamic Associations in
NZ. All processing facilities have to recertify annually for the halal
processor status. We are transitioning our packaging...and soon you'll see
the halal legend on each package of boneless legs and frenched racks you buy
in the store. The master cartons that we ship into Sam's also carry the MS
(Muslim Slaughter) stamp. You can consume our products with confidence.

Thank you for your email~
Marybeth Laleman

Sure, I can get lamb from the local guy, but he's not the most honest guy and more often than not I've paid $9 per pound for lamb that is mostly bone, fat and gristle with very little meat. The local guy is good for goat, I've always gotten nice goat from him. He's good for steaks, but for whatever reason the lamb he sells is terrible. Nice to know I have an alternative. It's nice for the rest of you too who might live in areas without a halal shop.

The SUNNAH, the better! :coolsis:

#36 ChotooMotoo

ChotooMotoo

• Members
  • 20,148 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:04 PM

that's cool. :lol: thanks for sharing.

but i'm wondering why there is no mention of "halal" on the USA website if it's the same company? :)

it's the same company. The company home page has two links, one for US one for Canada. Click the Canada link, and the halal label is right there, but not on the US site. It's not that surprising really when you compare the Muslim populations in the US & Canada w/ the overall populations of the countries. Also I'm in a pretty redneck area, maybe they don't want the label on the package because they are afraid it would hurt their business what with all the islamophobia in this country.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users