572 replies to this topic

#41 MossadConspiracy

MossadConspiracy

• Members
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:41 PM

Can you pass on some of that step 1 advice? :lovepant:

salam

this is my study plan. Its a little different from what you usually hear from other people, so take it with a grain of salt:

i didnt take a course, bought the kaplan books and used those along with BRS path and BRS micro. I read every book that I had except for the kaplan pathology book and the kaplan anatomy book (which i just browsed). I took notes out of the kaplan and BRS books into First Aid, giving me an awesomely annotated first aid. I then read through that full first aid book with all the notes. The overall process took 6 weeks. I took 5 days off during those weeks

Throughout the process I did questions every day. I think the key to my study strategy was qbank and the way I used it. Basically I did 50 or 100 questions every day, and went over their explanations. I did NOT only do questions on the subject I was currently studying. I just did random blocks of questions. The only subject I excluded was anatomy which i really sucked at to the point where there was no point doing questions till I studied it. The fact that the questions covered a range of topics kept me sharp on a wide variety of things while I focused my studying on individual subjects. It also helped point out deficiencies and the Qbank explanations themselves were a great learning resource.

Finally, I did two of the online exams that the NBME offers for money. They suck, and incorrectly predicted my score (overshot it once, significantly underestimated it the other time). I also did the free one that they publish and it was quite similar to the real deal.

It was the Mossad!!

#42 Khairan

Khairan

Resident Oddball

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

salam

for those who took step 2:

How did you study for it? Which books, if any? Which Qbank?

When I took step 1, I based my study plan on advise from Khairan and a buddy at my school who did pretty well on it.

ws

Qbank is not as good for step 2 as for step 1. I went by first aid and usmleworld, and I did pretty well. :pityfool:
I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch,
He said to me, "You must not ask for so much."
And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door,
She cried to me, "Hey, why not ask for more?"
Oh, like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in a midnight choir,
I have tried in my way to be free.
-- L.C.

#43 iliketofish

iliketofish

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:12 PM

YARGGHHH. I accidently ended a 50 question qbank practice test after answering 1 question and my percentage dropped to 37%.
Work in this life as if you will live forever; prepare for the Hereafter as if you will die tomorrow.

#44 Salika

Salika

• Members
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:28 PM

What an interesting thread.

#45 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 09:51 PM

YARGGHHH. I accidently ended a 50 question qbank practice test after answering 1 question and my percentage dropped to 37%.

:what: :lol: :goofy:
But will you shall not, unless God wills, the Lord of all Being. -At-Takwir, 81: 29

Surgeon General's warning: She only looks sweet and innocent. :evil:
To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing. - unknown
'Dawah' is not arabic for 'being really annoying.' - a really wise Islamican
If you educate a boy, you educate an individual. If you educate a girl, you educate a community. - African proverb

http://therabs.blogspot.com

#46 oFoShOuKnO

oFoShOuKnO

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 08:54 AM

My brother had a foot long beard when he was interviewing at medical schools and still got accepted...and most importantly, in South Carolina! He kept that beard for most of his first year and apparently no one said anything at all. He did trim it later for some reason...I don't know if I can articulate it properly so I'll let explain why.

Yes I remember that

ISNA 2005: :)--->Iliketofish's beard

ISNA 2006: :tasty:--->Iliketofish's beard

lol

"The West is pregnant with Islam, and the East is pregnant with the West."-- Khateeb

#47 sally

sally

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11,985 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

so you guys, do you think it would be okay to apply to med school after taking a few bio classes? i mean, i took environmental science and human bio and i havent really taken the human bio lab yet but i will be. so i guess i could just write that in my cover letter or something?

#48 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:36 PM

Here are the basic, minimum requirements for applying to medical school. In general, you need a grade for each course before finishing the app, and AP credit is not acceptable. Most schools require a grade of C or higher in each of these:

1 year general biology, plus lab
1 year general chemistry, plus lab
1 year organic chemistry, plus lab
1 year English language/literature
1 year math, pre-calc or higher
1 year physics, plus lab

Many schools are also now requiring a semester of biochem.

On the application, they calculate your overall GPA and also your "BCPM" (bio/chem/physics/math). Many schools will discard your application if either is below 3.0, and many set much higher bars for interviews. Ecology or human biology will count towards BCPM but may not fulfill the bio requirement, esp if your school offers a course that it labels as gen bio - but talk to your pre-med advisor for more details.

Also, you need to take the MCAT before applying, since few schools give out interviews without it. Most schools are also looking for a strong set of extra-curricular activities, and research (+/- publication) is highly encouraged.
But will you shall not, unless God wills, the Lord of all Being. -At-Takwir, 81: 29

If you educate a boy, you educate an individual. If you educate a girl, you educate a community. - African proverb

#49 Zeinab

Zeinab

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:49 PM

I'm starting uni/med school in October inshAllah. If i get the grades this summer.
Kinda terrified at the thought; I don't 'know' any doctors and don't have any in the family, so have no idea what it's really going to be like.
I don't really care for what you believe,
So open up your fist or you won't receive,
The thoughts and the words of every man you'll need.
Get up off the floor and believe in life,
No-one's ever gonna ever ask you twice,
Get on the bus and bring it on home to me.

#50 sally

sally

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11,985 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:24 PM

Also, you need to take the MCAT before applying, since few schools give out interviews without it. Most schools are also looking for a strong set of extra-curricular activities, and research (+/- publication) is highly encouraged.

If I write a really good/impressive and lenghty essay (like 5 pages) do you think they'll waive the MCAT requirement?

#51 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

If I write a really good/impressive and lenghty essay (like 5 pages) do you think they'll waive the MCAT requirement?

Doctors don't have time to read essays that long. :mrgreen:

:faint:

#52 sally

sally

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11,985 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:54 PM

dang, i assume most of the people figured out i was kidding or they were unsure of how to react cuz nobody else responded. would've been funny if they'd taken me seriously

bruinrab phails cuz she fell for it. muahahaha.

#53 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:09 AM

dang, i assume most of the people figured out i was kidding or they were unsure of how to react cuz nobody else responded. would've been funny if they'd taken me seriously

bruinrab phails cuz she fell for it. muahahaha.

Ahem. You'll notice the :flower: in my second post. Also, I don't think you would have appreciated my initial response. I had to censor myself. :faint:

#54 bravotwozero

bravotwozero

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

I knew it all along :turkey:
Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned, everywhere is war, me say war - Bob Marley

#55 salmanjafri

salmanjafri

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:44 PM

Hey everyone, I'm a premed, a fourth-year undergrad majoring in micro/immuno, and I have a lot of questions.

How much immunology is studied in med school?

If one wanted to specialize in allergy-immunology, are the only residencies through which that can be accomplished internal med and pediatrics?

Also, as a premed, does it depend on what kind of journal one is published in? For example, would the admissions committee value a publication in an undergraduate journal, or when people talk about "getting published," are they referring to big-time journals like nature, and science, etc.

#56 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 04:21 PM

Hey everyone, I'm a premed and I have many questions. I'm a fourth-year undergrad majoring in micro/immuno at a four-year university.

How much immunology is studied in med school?

If one wanted to specialize in allergy-immunology, are the only residencies through which that can be accomplished internal med and pediatrics?

Also, as a premed, does it depend on what kind of journal one is published in? For example, would the admissions committee value a publication in an undergraduate journal, or when people talk about "getting published," are they referring to big-time journals like nature, and science, etc.

At my school, immuno was studied with micro as part of semester long course, so really, not that much. However, there's a LOT of pathology associated with immune dysregulation, so you will see it come up in pretty much everything.

Specifically looking at allergy-immuno, yes, you have to go through med or peds first. Rheumatology is another good alternative, but that also has training at the fellowship level rather than at the residency level.

As far as publications, I had one but it wasn't in a huge journal, it was in "Alcoholism: clinical and experimental research", and that still helped me. Getting into Nature or Science is huge... heck even JAMA and the New England Journal are huge deals for med students. As long as it's not in something like "Bolivian journal for research on mice with funny looking tails", you should be ok. :look:

#57 sally

sally

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 11,985 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

As far as publications, I had one but it wasn't in a huge journal, it was in "Alcoholism: clinical and experimental research", and that still helped me. Getting into Nature or Science is huge... heck even JAMA and the New England Journal are huge deals for med students. As long as it's not in something like "Bolivian journal for research on mice with funny looking tails", you should be ok. :look:

i love how you guys have it kind of ingrained within you to write journal article titles with all lower case letters (after the word of course)

#58 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

i love how you guys have it kind of ingrained within you to write journal article titles with all lower case letters (after the word of course)

:look:

I started out capitalizing everything, then had to go back and fix it because it didn't look right. :roller:

#59 the_only_one

the_only_one

• Members
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 09:50 PM

salaams,

can we get some advice/suggestions from canadian students studying abroad? especially the odds of getting an admission as in internatonal student and huge tutition difference and stuff?

wasalaams
:cry: morbidly obese.:cry:

#60 bravotwozero

bravotwozero

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

If you're talking about the US, it's still pretty competitive, but not as competitive as Canadian schools. You'd need at least a 3.6 cumulative gpa with an MCAT of 30+, and there's usually a few Canadians at every medschool here. As a Canadian, you'd be paying out of state tuititon at a state school, or just the regular tuition at a private school, both of which will come out to roughly 35,000 U.S. per year on average, possibly even more. Yeah, definitely not cheap.
Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned, everywhere is war, me say war - Bob Marley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users