• Please log in to reply
572 replies to this topic

#21 Mozlem

Mozlem

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:45 AM

The lifestyle is way better than surgery. :blobblue:

Except early on, because then you get the sucky shifts that noone else wants.

Um, pretty much any lifestyle is better than surgery!

#22 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:46 AM

Um, pretty much any lifestyle is better than surgery!

Hence the :nervous:...:p

(stop reminding me! :cry: )
But will you shall not, unless God wills, the Lord of all Being. -At-Takwir, 81: 29

Surgeon General's warning: She only looks sweet and innocent. :evil:
To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing. - unknown
'Dawah' is not arabic for 'being really annoying.' - a really wise Islamican
If you educate a boy, you educate an individual. If you educate a girl, you educate a community. - African proverb

http://therabs.blogspot.com

#23 MossadConspiracy

MossadConspiracy

• Members
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:07 PM

I've heard conflicting things about Emergency Medicine, some say its conducive to a healthy family life while others insist that the hours and stress levels ruin life outside of the hospital. Has anyone here tried an EM rotation? If so, how was it? If not, what have you heard about the field (stress levels, competitiveness, hours)?

just did the rotation, lifestyle seems pretty good. The hours are definitely good but you work for your entire shift. Even surgeons get time to sit around between cases
It was the Mossad!!

#24 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:22 AM

just did the rotation, lifestyle seems pretty good. The hours are definitely good but you work for your entire shift. Even surgeons get time to sit around between cases

I think that might be unique to your situation. The ERs I've seen have downtime, at least for the attendings.
But will you shall not, unless God wills, the Lord of all Being. -At-Takwir, 81: 29

If you educate a boy, you educate an individual. If you educate a girl, you educate a community. - African proverb

#25 bravotwozero

bravotwozero

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:29 AM

I think that might be unique to your situation. The ERs I've seen have downtime, at least for the attendings.

I suppose that would vary with where you are rotating/working at. If you're at a level I trauma center in a major urban area, say, Beth Israel in NYC, you'll probably be busting your hump the entire shift. But if you were in a suburb/small town area, at a level III trauma center, I don't know if you'd be just as busy. (Though it would probably not be a good idea to complete an EM residency there)
Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned, everywhere is war, me say war - Bob Marley

#26 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:40 AM

I suppose that would vary with where you are rotating/working at. If you're at a level I trauma center in a major urban area, say, Beth Israel in NYC, you'll probably be busting your hump the entire shift. But if you were in a suburb/small town area, at a level III trauma center, I don't know if you'd be just as busy. (Though it would probably not be a good idea to complete an EM residency there)

Well, one was a small town level 2 hospital with no residents. The other is a level 1 just outside NYC. The level 1 is busy, but the attendings still get down time.

#27 ronin

ronin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:01 PM

I've heard conflicting things about Emergency Medicine, some say its conducive to a healthy family life while others insist that the hours and stress levels ruin life outside of the hospital. Has anyone here tried an EM rotation? If so, how was it? If not, what have you heard about the field (stress levels, competitiveness, hours)?

I did my ER rotation at Cook County Hospital. It was an amazing experience. Honestly, you help a lot of people who are uninsured and you're their only line of help.

With that said, the whole shift work thing can work for and against you. In terms of time off, you get a lot of it. But your circadian rhythm can get really messed up. That what happened to me and I would start falling asleep all the time.

Basically, the day I fell asleep while driving and got into an accident was the day I signed off on ER as a career choice. :flower:
"I'm not going to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike, Cowboy Bebop

#28 bravotwozero

bravotwozero

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

Have any of you guys received feedback/criticism regarding your personal appearence? I understand medicine is a very conservative environment and thus there are certain expectations with regards to dress/grooming, but I've taken a lot of flak for keeping a goatee and long sideburns :flower: and I'm not even doing rotations yet! The comments are from a physician mentor that I've been shadowing all year at a clinic...
Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned, everywhere is war, me say war - Bob Marley

#29 Khairan

Khairan

Resident Oddball

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:16 PM

Have any of you guys received feedback/criticism regarding your personal appearence? I understand medicine is a very conservative environment and thus there are certain expectations with regards to dress/grooming, but I've taken a lot of flak for keeping a goatee and long sideburns :rolleyes: and I'm not even doing rotations yet! The comments are from a physician mentor that I've been shadowing all year at a clinic...

I think that is his personal preference. I've seen people wearing their beards like that, and residents routinely become quite scruffy-looking (especially post-call :p ).

I wouldn't sweat it, especially not during your first year.
I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch,
He said to me, "You must not ask for so much."
And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door,
She cried to me, "Hey, why not ask for more?"
Oh, like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in a midnight choir,
I have tried in my way to be free.
-- L.C.

#30 Budmano786

Budmano786

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:39 PM

Have any of you guys received feedback/criticism regarding your personal appearence? I understand medicine is a very conservative environment and thus there are certain expectations with regards to dress/grooming, but I've taken a lot of flak for keeping a goatee and long sideburns :rolleyes: and I'm not even doing rotations yet! The comments are from a physician mentor that I've been shadowing all year at a clinic...

My brother had a foot long beard when he was interviewing at medical schools and still got accepted...and most importantly, in South Carolina! He kept that beard for most of his first year and apparently no one said anything at all. He did trim it later for some reason...I don't know if I can articulate it properly so I'll let explain why.
please keep me in your duas

#31 Hanbali

Hanbali

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 05:41 PM

My brother had a foot long beard when he was interviewing at medical schools and still got accepted...and most importantly, in South Carolina! He kept that beard for most of his first year and apparently no one said anything at all. He did trim it later for some reason...I don't know if I can articulate it properly so I'll let explain why.

A hot chick.

#32 bravotwozero

bravotwozero

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:01 PM

A hot chick.

Hey man, that's the reason why muslim men are supposed to have beards. Beard = Hot chick repellant.

#33 fatima

fatima

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:24 PM

i know a surg resident who is constantly getting criticized for his sideburns. he's a rebel and refuses to cut them out of spite...and i dont blame him. as long as youre not messy/unprofessional looking i dont see what the problem should be. :eek:

"The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor. The one who kneels to The Almighty can stand up to anything."

#34 bravotwozero

bravotwozero

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

i know a surg resident who is constantly getting criticized for his sideburns. he's a rebel and refuses to cut them out of spite...and i dont blame him.

Story of my life :eek:

#35 rxrlm

rxrlm

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

I interned with a resident whose patients used to ask him if he was jewish cuz of his sunnah beard. He is tabliqi and if he had his way he would probably come to work wearing his pants up his ankles too. :roller:

#36 iliketofish

iliketofish

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:29 PM

I had a fist length beard and wore a kufi every day to school my first year. Alhamdulillah, no one said anything to me but I've since trimmed it down for hygiene purposes and so that patients would feel comfortable with me (... it is South Carolina after all). Unless its a written policy, I wouldn't really care much what the "big dogs" say. Most of them are old and old fashioned and are basing their criticism on personal taste rather than professional consideration.
Work in this life as if you will live forever; prepare for the Hereafter as if you will die tomorrow.

#37 MossadConspiracy

MossadConspiracy

• Members
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

salam

for those who took step 2:

How did you study for it? Which books, if any? Which Qbank?

When I took step 1, I based my study plan on advise from Khairan and a buddy at my school who did pretty well on it.

ws
It was the Mossad!!

#38 Manaar

Manaar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:42 PM

When I took step 1, I based my study plan on advise from Khairan and a buddy at my school who did pretty well on it.

Can you pass on some of that step 1 advice? :faint:

#39 ChotooMotoo

ChotooMotoo

• Members
  • 20,148 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:45 PM

anyone have step 3 advice?
Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

#40 hefty

hefty

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 01:55 PM

salam

for those who took step 2:

How did you study for it? Which books, if any? Which Qbank?

ws

usmleworld.com all the way :lovepant:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users