572 replies to this topic

#1 ronin

ronin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:49 AM

Salam there my fellow Islamicans,

As a newer member in the family, I thought I could contribute by helping the budding muslim/muslima physicians.

I'm about to finish my med school in a few months and would love to help give advice out to any pre-med or current medical students.

In other words, hit me. :flower:
"I'm not going to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike, Cowboy Bebop

#2 the_only_one

the_only_one

• Members
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 12:52 AM

welcome to islamica,:)

formally known as 'haramicaaaaaaaaa' :flower: congrats on final year.

if you havent already noticed this thread, check it out. you're most likely to find some friends here..http://www.islamicaw...tor-thread.html

wasalaams.

#3 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:27 AM

:)

Where do you go to school? And what are you applying for?

I'm :vomit: about match day. :lol:
But will you shall not, unless God wills, the Lord of all Being. -At-Takwir, 81: 29

Surgeon General's warning: She only looks sweet and innocent. :evil:
To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing. - unknown
'Dawah' is not arabic for 'being really annoying.' - a really wise Islamican
If you educate a boy, you educate an individual. If you educate a girl, you educate a community. - African proverb

http://therabs.blogspot.com

#4 ronin

ronin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:34 AM

Ah, I thought the other thread was about asking for medical advice.

In terms of which med school, not sure if I'm too comfortable mentioning that on a forum yet. But yeah, definitely a bit nervous about match day. Applying for radiology! How about yourself?

:)

Where do you go to school? And what are you applying for?

I'm :vomit: about match day. :lol:

-Spike, Cowboy Bebop

#5 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:39 AM

In terms of which med school, not sure if I'm too comfortable mentioning that on a forum yet. But yeah, definitely a bit nervous about match day. Applying for radiology! How about yourself?

Understandable. I'm near NYC. Applying in plastics and gen surg.

Edit: Khairan, one of the mods, is starting radiology this year (he's doing internship right now).
But will you shall not, unless God wills, the Lord of all Being. -At-Takwir, 81: 29

If you educate a boy, you educate an individual. If you educate a girl, you educate a community. - African proverb

#6 ronin

ronin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:44 AM

Understandable. I'm near NYC. Applying in plastics and gen surg.

Edit: Khairan, one of the mods, is starting radiology this year (he's doing internship right now).

Plastics/Gen Surg? Good God girl, you're crazy. :vomit:
-Spike, Cowboy Bebop

#7 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:46 AM

Plastics/Gen Surg? Good God girl, you're crazy. :vomit:

Yes, that's a well established fact around these parts. :)

#8 wheelworks

wheelworks

Oldest member

• Members
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

Plastics/Gen Surg? Good God girl, you're crazy. :confused:

Whats wrong with that? All she needs is another nutter celebrity who wants to look like Michael Jackson and voila! Instant Millionaire :D

"Don't judge the truth by people. First find the truth, then you will recognize its people." - Imam Ali,
If you sift through all the non-serious posts of mine you'll eventually find a jewel that you can treasure and remember with a fondness that will last generations

#9 Scarfy

Scarfy

• Members
  • 6,350 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:00 AM

M.D-PhD programs...yay or nay?

#10 Khairan

Khairan

Resident Oddball

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

Depends on your reasoning for doing them. Be aware that MD-PhDs make far less, on average, than private-practicing physicians do and their training-time is generally three to four years longer.

In other words, if you want to do the dual degree, do it because you love research and academics.
I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch,
He said to me, "You must not ask for so much."
And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door,
She cried to me, "Hey, why not ask for more?"
Oh, like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in a midnight choir,
I have tried in my way to be free.
-- L.C.

#11 MossadConspiracy

MossadConspiracy

• Members
  • 5,940 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

salam

3rd yr med student. dont really want to talk about my residency or career goals too much because of evil eye

wondering a little bit about good sites for away electives. input through PM would be appreciated

ws
It was the Mossad!!

#12 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:20 PM

salam

3rd yr med student. dont really want to talk about my residency or career goals too much because of evil eye

wondering a little bit about good sites for away electives. input through PM would be appreciated

ws

Aways are very dependent on what you want to do and where you want to be. In ortho, for example, it's very hard to match somewhere that you haven't done an elective, so it's best to do them where you think you'll have a good shot. On the other hand, in gen surg, a good letter from someone who is well known on a regional or national level can go a long way. The letter I had from a California elective was mentioned to me at most of the interviews I went to on the west coast and as far away as Texas.

General guidelines:
-Do them somewhere academic, in the geographic region you think you'd like to be
-Do them at programs where the area you're interested in is a strength
-Try to work with the department chairman if you can
-Work your backside off - think of every second as part of your interview
-Have the best possible relationship you can with the residents

#13 Nailah

Nailah

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 01:43 PM

Anesthesiology...:giggle:
Nailah

#14 ronin

ronin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:19 PM

It actually depends. If you're truly interested in the research and what not, go for it! Also, if you're thinking about Radiation Oncology, they really prefer PhD candidates as well. But as mentioned above, it is a longer commitment. I know a friend who went through it, research did not as well, and then quit the track. He had to reapply for general medical school.

Also, another interesting combo degree is MD-MPH.
-Spike, Cowboy Bebop

#15 ronin

ronin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 05:40 PM

Aways are very dependent on what you want to do and where you want to be. In ortho, for example, it's very hard to match somewhere that you haven't done an elective, so it's best to do them where you think you'll have a good shot. On the other hand, in gen surg, a good letter from someone who is well known on a regional or national level can go a long way. The letter I had from a California elective was mentioned to me at most of the interviews I went to on the west coast and as far away as Texas.

General guidelines:
-Do them somewhere academic, in the geographic region you think you'd like to be
-Do them at programs where the area you're interested in is a strength
-Try to work with the department chairman if you can
-Work your backside off - think of every second as part of your interview
-Have the best possible relationship you can with the residents

Pretty much what she said. Also, people recall your faults more than your strengths most of the time. So if you do an away and are either not impressionable or slip up a bit, that might be what they remember you by.
-Spike, Cowboy Bebop

#16 iliketofish

iliketofish

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:41 PM

Kaplan or USMLEWorld's Qbank for Step 1?
Work in this life as if you will live forever; prepare for the Hereafter as if you will die tomorrow.

#17 ronin

ronin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

Kaplan or USMLEWorld's Qbank for Step 1?

Well, there was no USMLEworld when I did Step I. But for Step II, it was fantastic. Here's what I suggest.

You have plenty of time to do both if you start now. What you should do it start one of them now and finish it off by the time that last month comes around. Save the second set of questions for that marathon month of studying.

You don't want to use them both before that marathon month. Plus, the second set will give you a good indicator on how well you are doing.

Hope that helped!
-Spike, Cowboy Bebop

#18 iliketofish

iliketofish

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:12 PM

I've heard conflicting things about Emergency Medicine, some say its conducive to a healthy family life while others insist that the hours and stress levels ruin life outside of the hospital. Has anyone here tried an EM rotation? If so, how was it? If not, what have you heard about the field (stress levels, competitiveness, hours)?
Work in this life as if you will live forever; prepare for the Hereafter as if you will die tomorrow.

#19 bravotwozero

bravotwozero

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:21 PM

Here's what I know: EM is shift work, where you'd work 4 days on of 12 hour shifts, followed by 4 days off. That might be conducive for family life for some, and not for others. Personally, I kinda like that, except the 12 hour shifts could end up being a bit gruelling. EM apparently is slowly becoming more competitive, but it's still middle of pack compared to something like ortho, or the 'ROAD' specialties.
Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned, everywhere is war, me say war - Bob Marley

#20 Bruinrab

Bruinrab

Surgeon in Residence

• Members
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:37 PM

Here's what I know: EM is shift work, where you'd work 4 days on of 12 hour shifts, followed by 4 days off. That might be conducive for family life for some, and not for others. Personally, I kinda like that, except the 12 hour shifts could end up being a bit gruelling. EM apparently is slowly becoming more competitive, but it's still middle of pack compared to something like ortho, or the 'ROAD' specialties.

The lifestyle is way better than surgery. :flower:

Except early on, because then you get the sucky shifts that noone else wants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users