82 replies to this topic

#21 MoonStar

MoonStar

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:01 PM

please share pics. thanks!

I would but it's winter and nothings blooming. My plants need some serious rearrangment though, the front yard just has stuff planted where they fit so it doesn't look like those perfect gardens in magazines. And the plants don't bloom at the same time so it's not that showy.

But here's what I have in the front yard:

one wisteria plant that blooms for 2 weeks in spring
one purple butterfly bush, blooms all summer
2 scented rosebushes, yellow and pink
small bright orange rose plant
scrawny light orange scented rose that needs to be moved to a better location
tall pink climbing rose bush, small flowers
a few mostly white trumpet lilies
one stargazer lily/red lily that may or may not grow back
pink azalea
yellow daylily
couple of 4 foot tall pink cosmos that I grew from seeds

that sounds like a lot but it doesn't look like much. And then I had some flowerpots on the front steps that I grew blue morning glories and petunias in.

In the backyard which looks a lot neater I have:
2 pink peony bushes
yellow rosebush
3 orange/red lilies
2 yellow daylilies
8 new large flowerpots that I grew pink/red/purple wave petunias and herbs in. I should have taken a pic in late summer but they looked nice, the flowers grew over the edges of the pots.

#22 Variable

Variable

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:11 PM

How are you supposed to prepare your yard for the wintertime? I heard leaving some of the fallen leaves down on the open soil helps.
What kind of peace do I mean and what kind of a peace do we seek? Not a Pax Americana enforced on the world by American weapons of war.... not merely peace for Americans but peace for all men and women -- not merely peace in our time, but peace in all time.

JFK

#23 MoonStar

MoonStar

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 01:31 PM

How are you supposed to prepare your yard for the wintertime? I heard leaving some of the fallen leaves down on the open soil helps.

here's a good list: How to Winterize Your Garden | eHow.com

I don't do much, I haven't mulched anything, it hasn't been that cold here, I might mulch roses. And I put flowerpots in the garage so they don't get wet and crack in the winter. And stop pruning things in the fall. I plan to leave some leaves on the ground as mulch but that site says shredded leaves breathe better, I guess leaves can rot. The site says to prune perennials but I would leave that for the early spring so you don't stimulate new growth.

"Apply a winter mulch to perennials where winter temperatures generally fall below minus 10 degrees F. Simply lay a lightweight organic mulch, such as shredded autumn leaves, pine needles or straw, over beds to protect plants from winter's extremes. Avoid more compact mulches and whole leaves (which can mat), since they can suffocate plants."

#24 Variable

Variable

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 02:10 PM

Thanks Moonstar.

Ugh... in that case I think I need to do some raking.
What kind of peace do I mean and what kind of a peace do we seek? Not a Pax Americana enforced on the world by American weapons of war.... not merely peace for Americans but peace for all men and women -- not merely peace in our time, but peace in all time.

JFK

#25 LEGALEAGLE

LEGALEAGLE

Stop being two-faced

• Members
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

here's a good list: How to Winterize Your Garden | eHow.com

I don't do much, I haven't mulched anything, it hasn't been that cold here, I might mulch roses. And I put flowerpots in the garage so they don't get wet and crack in the winter. And stop pruning things in the fall. I plan to leave some leaves on the ground as mulch but that site says shredded leaves breathe better, I guess leaves can rot. The site says to prune perennials but I would leave that for the early spring so you don't stimulate new growth.

"Apply a winter mulch to perennials where winter temperatures generally fall below minus 10 degrees F. Simply lay a lightweight organic mulch, such as shredded autumn leaves, pine needles or straw, over beds to protect plants from winter's extremes. Avoid more compact mulches and whole leaves (which can mat), since they can suffocate plants."

We grow apples, gooseberries, raspberries, strawberries, grapes, spinach, mint plus various other vegetables and flowers in our garden.

I still have the pics of the bumper apple crop

#26 Pushpa

Pushpa

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

Does anyone know how to take care of a potted orchid? Somebody gave me one as a gift and told me I wouldn't need to water it much, especially during the winter. But I'm worried because it seems to be drooping and its colour is fading a bit.

So what is a reasonable interval between waterings? Also, how much light do they need? Like, do they need to be in direct sunlight?

#27 Bluestar

Bluestar

Super Duper Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:34 PM

I rescued a Purple Orchid from a skip. Mine is doing a bit poorly but it usually perks up in the summer. I need to repot it actually. Is yours potted in wood chippings? That's best for it. I like to keep mine in the sun but they seem to do fine when they're not in the sun. They're pretty hardy plants. I just can't figure out whether i should leave the leaves all sprawled out because they're quite heavy so they tend to droop.

sorry pushpa, not much help.
"Ode to a small lump of green putty I Found in My Armpit One Summer Morning"
[/url]

#28 Pushpa

Pushpa

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:47 PM

I rescued a Purple Orchid from a skip. Mine is doing a bit poorly but it usually perks up in the summer. I need to repot it actually. Is yours potted in wood chippings? That's best for it. I like to keep mine in the sun but they seem to do fine when they're not in the sun. They're pretty hardy plants. I just can't figure out whether i should leave the leaves all sprawled out because they're quite heavy so they tend to droop.

sorry pushpa, not much help.

OK, so they don't necessarily need to be in direct sunlight all the time. Mine *is* potted in wood chippings, so I guess that's a good start.

So does anybody else know how often they need to be watered? How often do you water yours, Bluestar?

#29 Bluestar

Bluestar

Super Duper Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:49 PM

Every week. It's pretty healthy and bloomed a beautiful pink flower in the summer so i guess it works for the plant :eek:

I usually leave him on the windowsill so he gets the light when the sun comes out. I've just found out through this helpful website that the sun may burn the leaves so they should be a healthy green colour. His leaves are healthy green but have a tint of red/pink.

I think light and water depend mostly on what sort of orchid you've got. Have a look,

Orchid Care Tips: Light
[/url]

#30 Variable

Variable

Super Moderator

• Members
  • 6,802 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 04:56 PM

I was just thinking about this thread :eek:

JFK

#31 Pushpa

Pushpa

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 10:12 AM

Every week. It's pretty healthy and bloomed a beautiful pink flower in the summer so i guess it works for the plant :nerd:

I usually leave him on the windowsill so he gets the light when the sun comes out. I've just found out through this helpful website that the sun may burn the leaves so they should be a healthy green colour. His leaves are healthy green but have a tint of red/pink.

I think light and water depend mostly on what sort of orchid you've got. Have a look,

Orchid Care Tips: Light

Thanks! I'll check that out.

#32 Bluestar

Bluestar

Super Duper Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:23 PM

I'm really worried about my money plant. We've moved places recently and i can understand moving is a bit rocky but its leaves started wrinkling up and getting soft. I found out since that it means i've been over watering it :what:

Shall i change the soil to get rid of the water or just let it do its thing and get rid of it overtime? :p

i'm really worried about it
[/url]

#33 Bluestar

Bluestar

Super Duper Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

Update: all the leaves of my money plant fell off. I kept it outside for a little while whilst it was sunny so it could dry up. It's started to get leaves again now. I think he'll be ok :rolleyes:
[/url]

#34 Bluestar

Bluestar

Super Duper Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:51 PM

Does anyone know of a website which helps you find the origin and name of your plant?
[/url]

#35 wheelworks

wheelworks

Oldest member

• Members
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

Does anyone know of a website which helps you find the origin and name of your plant?

How about this one?

Plant Encyclopedia, Plant Search - Largest Source in the World!

"Don't judge the truth by people. First find the truth, then you will recognize its people." - Imam Ali,
If you sift through all the non-serious posts of mine you'll eventually find a jewel that you can treasure and remember with a fondness that will last generations

#36 Bluestar

Bluestar

Super Duper Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:45 AM

How about this one?

Plant Encyclopedia, Plant Search - Largest Source in the World!

It's good but i couldn't find what the name of my plant is. it's quite rare and has curly leaves :faint:

I'm making a vegetable patch in the garden. I've bought lots of seeds to grow courgettes/marrow, carrots, peas, mushrooms (i'll need manure for that) and coriander. I'm going to chuck a potato in there too and see what happens! If anyone has any veggie growing tips, feel free to pass them on. I'm sure i've got plenty to learn!
[/url]

#37 slime

slime

Peter Nincompoop

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:35 PM

so i'm going to attempt some gardening this year.
on advice from a co-worker, i bought:
hosta
3 daylilys

also bought sage and petunias.
today i found out that petunias are annuals. wth? they were in the perennial section!

they've all been planted. inshAllah, they'll growwwwww :cry:

#38 MoonStar

MoonStar

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

This year I planted marigolds, basil, rosemary, chives, brussels sprout and a cayenne pepper plant. I'm planting the last 3 for the first time. Not sure what recipes I'll use rosemary in, I just like the smell, dunno about the taste.

thyme and savory from last year, chives this year:
Posted Image

basil and rosemary:
Posted Image

brussels sprout, isnt it cute?
Posted Image

cayenne:
Posted Image

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.JPG   69.96KB   49 downloads
  • Attached File  2.JPG   53.53KB   50 downloads
  • Attached File  3.JPG   69.45KB   48 downloads
  • Attached File  4.JPG   63.73KB   49 downloads

#39 zzze

zzze

• Members
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:29 PM

assalamu alaykum

awww, moonstar, i love home grown herbs. my mum grew lots of mint. and a chilli tree, too, come to think of it. that was pretty cool.

blue- good idea with growing ur own veg. why don't you plant some brocolli too? :cry: i really want a vegetable patch.
"Until you annihilate your selfish lower self of desires and lusts through strict and sincere mujahada [self disciplinary exercises], your heart will never become illuminated with the light of knowledge." - Imam Abu Hamid Al-Ghazli, Dear Beloved Son.

Help the GUANTANAMO BAY detainees

#40 Wolfn

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos

• Members
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:31 PM

I grow carnivorous plants:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users